Friday 25 October 2013

Review - Far Too Tempting by Lauren Blakely

 


 


Jane Black has written the breakup album of the century, earning her a Grammy, a huge legion of new fans, and the pressure to repeat her success. Sure, the heartbreak from her husband’s unconventional abandonment might have been her inspiration, but it hasn’t done her any favors in the dating department. So when Matthew Harrigan, the toughest music journalist out there, asks for an interview, Jane agrees—as long as her personal life is completely off-limits.

British, gorgeous, and way too tempting, Matthew’s the first guy Jane’s been attracted to since her husband. As she spends more time with him and their relationship heats up, though, so does her writer’s block. How can the queen of the break up pen the perfect follow-up when she’s seriously in love?
 

 
 
 
Where is the pre-order option for Jane Black’s album? Top of itunes chart 5 Stars ***I am 100% guilty of being Tempted!!! You hooked, lined and sunk me Lauren Blakely. 
I do not generally pre-order artists albums unless I can get a preview of the material. Shrew my old tactics, I want both of Jane Black’s albums. If you are a fan of the Girl With A Guitar series like I am, you will fall head over heels for this book. Lauren Blakely centers her story around an Indie rock singer-songwriter, Jane Black, whose shattering marriage a year ago, influences a kickass album titled Crushed; rewarding her with a Grammy for album of the year. The win is out of left field, Jane never expects to win, nor could she ever imagine the success what comes with it. With her new found stardom, comes the haggle of reporters with their vicious claws, trying to dissect and expose Jane’s private life and secrets.
All except, an “eminently lickable” reporter, Matthew Harrigan, rock critic for Beat magazine.
“He could make or break a musician, but he could probably make or break a heart, too…Yeah, if he wasn’t already winning on looks and job alone, he has the trump card in that accent that makes me want to swoon and say yes to anything he asks.”
Matthew isn’t your typical gossip hungry, backstabbing reporter. While his job is to report what people want to read about, he truly is a fan of Jane’s music and is rooting for her success.
“Sometimes my questions might irritate you. As a journalist, I am completely fine with irritating someone I interview every now and then…But taking off my reporter hat, and speaking only as a man now, I am sorry if I upset you.”
Did that turn you into mush like it did me?
He is also fan of Jane for more than her music wink, wink. The sparks between these two characters are so explosive you better have three fire extinguishers on hand. Holy fan your panties, this man can turn anything into an innuendo and make you blush. Who would think describing summer fruit (peaches and cherries) could turn one on, not this girl, but as Jane discovers this man holds the power to flick the “on” button on your libido with the slightest ease.
 “Juicy and sweet. And they have cherries. Summer cherries. I’ll buy a carton and stand by my sink and eat them all. I can’t help myself. They taste delicious.” he says, shaking his head several times as if he’s savoring the memory of the taste on his tongue.
“You need to stop taking to me about fruit as if it’s foreplay,”
Even though the chemistry is as noticeable as the Hollywood Sign lights, both characters are held back for their own personal reasons. Matthew attempts to keep their relationship solely professional while writing his article on Jane’s follow up to Crushed; yet he realizes it is impossible to separate business from pleasure when his desire is so strong for Jane it consumes him. On the other hand, Jane’s heart is still broken from her divorce from Aidan, a man she loved for five years and produced an adorable kid, Ethan, with.
Like the scoundrel of a reporter exposed:
“Jane Black may have a Grammy but she doesn’t have gay-dar.”
Jane Black’s world is flipped upside down leaving her in a state of devastation, when her husband reveals he is leaving because he is gay.
“I’m not at all ashamed he’s gay…I’m ashamed for being so goddamn blind for so many years. I’m embarrassed that I was so stupid I missed all the signs…I’m annoyed that I’ve been unwanted for so long. Untouched, unkissed, undesired for years.”
What makes it even harder for Jane to cope with, is how sincere and kind Aidan is. He didn’t cheat, he doesn’t act like a douche, and he is an amazing father to their son Ethan.
“…there’s this other side that wishes he’d be angry or bitter or catty. That he’d try to take advantage of me, and wheedle money out of me or something. Or try to cli a portion of my Crushed royalties. But nope, he has to be polite Aidan, gracious Aidan.”
Jane’s insecurities play a dominate factor in accepting a relationship with Matthew. “Please don’t fuck with my heart”
It is completely understandable why she would be hesitant to open herself to love. Her heart is as safe with Matthew as it would be locked up in Fort Knox.
“You are so much more than the way your marriage ended. You are an engaging, captivating, and insanely fucking talented rock star.”
“You really don’t know how much I want you? Because there aren’t enough adverbs to describe how much. Insanely, immensely, ridiculously. I could go on.”
“Please let me kiss you again. I can’t take it. I can’t stand this. Do whatever you want. Objectify me again. I can’t stand not being with you.”
True to her roots, Lauren Blakely creates a heroine and hero that emit charm and likability while also offering a phenomenal supporting cast. Where Jane and Matthew are the mod podge, Oliver, Natalie and Jeremy are the newspaper strips that jump into the mix to help them create final pieces.
This isn’t just a romance or a comedy. It’s also a story of moving forward, redefining oneself and the compromises it takes for a successful relationship. Far Too Tempting speaks directly to a reader’s heart, for those who have had a broken heart, the pain and the courage to love again.
“I need to let go. But not of Aidan. I need to say good-bye to the woman I used to be. Because there’s a better me now. A stronger me, a happier me. I’m the person I want to be. I don’t need a man to be happy, and I don’t need a man to be unhappy. I just need me, and I like who I am—mom, sister, daughter, friend.”
In addition your heart will flutter as you watch Jane and Matthew’s relationship progress, the jitters of anticipating that first kiss or that first intimate encounter. Warning: you will need to wipe off your kindle from the steam these scenes produce mmhmm!
I loved the family dynamic Ms. Blakely intertwines into the storyline. Ethan is one adorable and funny kid. Although, Jane has become a rock star and is struggling to balance a new relationship while getting over her marriage, her number one priority remains her son. Her relationship with both her brother, Oliver, and her older sister, Natalie, are beyond enjoyable. (Hope Oliver gets his own book, fingers crossed J)
P.S. Want to know something about straight men? Haha, Matthew’s humor knows no bounds. He is a goof-ball yet professional, deliciously sexy, yet romantic and he is a swooning gentleman with a dirty mouth #PerfectCombination
 
 
~ Review by Tori
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Lauren Blakely writes sexy contemporary romance novels with heat, heart, and humor, and her books have appeared on the New York Times, USA Today, Amazon, Barnes and Noble, and iBooks bestseller lists. Like the heroine in FAR TOO TEMPTING, she thinks life should be filled with family, laughter, and the kind of love that love songs promise. Lauren lives in California with her husband, children, and dogs. Her novels include Caught Up In UsPretending He’s MinePlaying With Her Heart, and Trophy Husband. She also writes for young adults under the name Daisy Whitney.


 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment