Thursday 24 October 2013

Release Day Blast - Running In Place by L B Simmons

 


 
Title: Running in Place

Series: Mending Hearts Book #2

Author: L B Simmons

Release Date: October 24, 2013


NA Contemporary Romance, can be read as a stand alone. Due to themes of Child Abuse, Explicit Language, Mild Violence, and Sexual Situations - Recommend Readers 18+

 
 
 
Tatum O’Connell:

Some call me a party girl. People see me as happy, full of life, with absolutely no cares in the world. They see what I want them to see. But no one knows me – really knows me. Not even Noah Reese.  Mr. Perfect is always watching me, most likely judging every single imperfect thing I do. But, if Noah wants to keep an eye on me, that’s just fine. I definitely don’t mind. I just hope he doesn’t have any plans to save me from my new-found life of self-destruction because in order to save me, he will have to see me…

And I’m never going to let that happen.

Noah Reese:

Perfect. That’s me. That’s the only acceptable way to be, according to my father. Perfect grades. Perfect manners. Perfect athlete. Perfect SAT scores. Perfect college. And recently, I was accepted into the perfect med school. My future has already been mapped out for me and there’s nothing that can change that. Not even Tatum O’Connell. That girl is out of control, yet for some reason, I can’t seem to keep my distance from her. I watch her closely, hoping that one day she’ll let me in, but watching her lead her life down the dangerous path she’s on right now isn’t easy…

I have a feeling I’m about to find myself swept away by the hurricane that is Tatum O’Connell.
 


“Two fleeting souls,
 
Unknowingly tethered.
 
Too slowly drawn,
 
Impatient fate calls.
 
The jolting collide intertwines their lives
 
And splinters their walls.” 


“Catalyst” – Noah Reese



 
 
Running in Place 1

 
 

“You’re a worthless excuse for a daughter. I wish I never had you.”


Frantically, my eyes dart around the room for her. She’s here. I know it. I can smell the stench of alcohol in the air.  Whipping around, I search for any trace of her, my entire body shaking and the knot in my throat unbearable. Tears fill my eyes as they anxiously race around the kitchen, finally landing on the cabinet where she used to store her liquor.

Memories flood my mind, the immobilizing terror that I would feel every time she approached it.  The prayers I would send to no one in particular, just hoping that she wouldn’t open that fucking cabinet for just one night.  Prayers that fell on deaf ears.

Slowly I make my way to the white doors, crouching down in front of them.

“You killed him and I will make damn sure you spend the rest of your life paying for that. I’ll never again know true happiness because you fucking exist.”

Shaking my head to try to clear her voice from my mind, I set my trembling fingers on the silver knobs and yank the doors open. Nothing.

A sigh of relief escapes my lips as I close them.  Rising, I turn to take a step towards the sink when another memory strikes.

“Mama, don’t please.” I cry out loud as she approaches me with the scissors.

“I have to, Tatum.  Your beauty does not match the vile, revolting child that you really are on the inside. Everyone should see you for who you are.”  I try to run, but she grabs my long dark hair as I pass by her, swiping the blades so close to my neck that I can feel the cool metal against my skin. Laughing she chunks my tresses into the sink.  “You’re an ugly person, Tatum. Inside…and out, now.”

“God, Daddy.  Please help me,” I say out loud, lifting my shaking hands to my forehead, threading sections of hair through my fingers.  “Please, Daddy, I need you.” After a while, calmness spreads throughout my body.  I’m no longer shaking, but the voices are still there.

Turning the faucet on, I splash water on my face repeatedly, trying to drown out them out along with the memories.  After wiping my face dry with a dishtowel, I hear the crackling of gravel as Noah’s Jeep pulls up into the driveway. 

Breathing in deeply, I try to regain my composure as I walk to the door, straightening my shirt and running my fingers through my hair before I reach for the knob.  Hearing steps in front of the house, I barely crack the door and poke my head out to make sure it’s really him.  With all the crazy shit going on in this house I can’t be too sure.  But, much to my relief, there he is, standing on my porch in his classic white t-shirt, work jeans and boots, his fist raised about to knock.

And just like that, the voices are gone and my head is clear.

I release a comforted breath and feel the corners of my mouth slightly lift at the sight of him.

“What are you smiling at?” Noah asks, seemingly nervous.  Opening the door wider, I gesture for him to enter my house of horrors. The sight of his disheveled hair makes me grin even more.

“Your hair, it’s nice to see it like that.  I don’t know why, but it makes me smile.” I clear my throat.  His nerves must be contagious, because suddenly I feel that hummingbird feeling in my chest.

With him now inside, I close the door and head towards the kitchen, checking over my shoulder to make sure he’s following me.  “Want something to eat?”

Once I see he’s fallen into step, I turn back around and round the corner, making sure to avoid looking at the sink. The memory still lingering on the hinges of my mind, I try to push it as far away as I can. “I don’t have much, but I did manage to make it to the store over the weekend.”

“No, I’m good, Thanks, though.” He shoves his hands in his pockets and rocks onto the balls of his feet.

Thinking about our last night together, I feel the frustration mounting within myself. I should kick my own ass for kissing him.  Everything seems so edgy between us now and I hate it.  Running my fingers through my hair, I twist it at the nape of my neck and bring it over my shoulder.

“Well, what’s up?  What couldn’t wait until tonight?”

His eyes widen. “Tonight?  What’s tonight?”

“I picked up Sadie’s shift.”

He grinds his teeth together as he leans against the wall, crossing his arms over his chest.  “I told you to take the entire week off, Tate. You don’t need to work right now. You need to concentrate on healing.”

I know.

“No, I don’t.  I’m sick and tired of being cooped up in this depressing house.  I need to get out, to stay busy.  I feel like I’m losing it, honestly.”  My hands are still trembling and I’m not sure if it’s the sudden anxiety from being around Noah or the fact that I’m losing my mind. His eyes break from mine and land on them as they continue to shake like a leaf.  Pressing himself off the wall, he takes a small, timid step towards me. 

I want to tell him to stop.  To stay where he is.  To tell him to leave this house and forget about me.  That I could ruin his perfect life by just being near him.

But I don’t.

I let him continue taking those steps until he’s right in front of me and even breathe out a sigh of contentment when he wraps his arms around me, pulling me into his frame. The tears fall as he lightly traces my back with his fingers, and with each touch, my uneasiness lessens.  I know it’s selfish, but I would give anything to stay in this moment forever. 

Circling my arms around his waist, I press my forehead against his chest and watch the droplets as they plummet from my face towards his boots, dark spots forming as they strike.  After a couple of seconds, I replace my forehead with my chin, daring to look into his muddy brown eyes, full of their usual intensity as he studies me, peering into my soul.  In them, I find complete solace and protection, and the sudden desire to share things with him that I swore I’d never share with another living person.

“I don’t know what’s wrong with me, Noah. I feel like I’m going fucking crazy. Ever since Friday, I can’t stop them.  The voices.  My mother’s leading their charge to my insanity.”   My throat closes almost completely shut.  “I hate this house. I hate being here, alone.  So many memories…” I trail off, my strength fading, no longer able to keep from bawling.

I close my eyes as the warm moisture cascades down my cheeks and runs down my neck.  Unwrapping his arms, he moves his hands to my face, wiping the tears away, but it’s useless.   They’re replaced instantly. 

“Tate, open your eyes.  Look at me, baby.”  I keep them closed, not ready to face the wary expression in front of me. 

“Let me in, Tate. Open your eyes.”  The heartache in his tone and the tremble of his voice prompts me to open them immediately.  As soon as our eyes catch, a breath hitches in my throat.  His eyes shining, he gently wraps his fingers around my shoulders, pressing his thumbs softly into my flesh as he speaks.

“You’re not alone.  I’m right here.” A slight smile of relief breaks through the tears on my face. 
I watch his mouth tip up in response.  “Now, tell the voices to shut the fuck up because it’s my turn.”

 


 



Utterly Breathtaking! Writing at its Finest! 5 Stars doesn't do it justice!
 
I have to say I was eerie when I finished Recovery and read the sneak peek to Running in Place. I had expected the follow-up in this series to be about Harlow & Trace. I had no clue who Tatum and Noah were. Holy Heart Fluttering Swoonattack of a read! If you thought Alex and Blake's story was heartwarming, whilst I love that couple dearly, Tatum & Noah's story captivates you and touches your soul. I am speechless, no matter what I write about this story, it will not be enough praise for Ms L.B Simmons.

Let’s start off by introducing the heroine, mesmerizingly beautifully broken, Tatum O’Connell. She is gorgeous, smart, a spitfire of wit and rage. Yet, she is so insecure and lost. She struggles to overcome a childhood of tragedy, abuse, and abandonment. Tatum endured so much as a child into early adulthood and her mode of coping was writing in her journal. Each chapter that we get Tatum’s POV, we are also receive a snip of her journal entry. These help expose the reader to Tatum’s past while making the connection as to why she is the woman she has become—bitter, lonely, spirit broken, unsure shell of a woman.

Enter in our hero Noah Reese. If you thought Blake was a knight in shining armor, Noah is like truly a Godsend.

Running in Place 4
 
Working as a bartender at Tatum’s brother Trace's bar, he is just passing time till he attends Med school; a career path chosen by his father. To Tatum, his exterior comes off as Mr. Perfect, which causes her to clash tooth and nail with him. Under the surface, Noah is anything but perfect as he suffers to overcome his own demons (his Father being the devil himself). Originally Noah was asked to keep an eye on Tatum at the request of her brother; however, his sights are drawn in being completely captivating by her. The saying goes “Actions speak louder than words” but holy heart melting phrases Noah uses both. He shows and uses swoonful words to help Tatum accept her self-worth and beauty.

Running in Place 2
 
Together they help each other grow. They don’t fight one another’s battle for the other, they fight side by side, hand and hand, heart to heart.

Both character’s pasts continue to haunt them over the course of the book. You will never put your pom poms down, always rooting for them to find some kind of solace and happiness after all the pain and grief both have endured. Both characters are flawed which is refreshing that one isn’t a poster child for unicorns. The pace is realistic no insta-love. Although both are twenty-three years old, the maturity they emit helps captures you into their story even more; no eye rolls only heartstring tugging.

Ms. Simmons doesn’t leave you hanging, we get glimpses of Alex and the girls (Riley is freakin’ hilarious I want to have a daughter just like her!) Blake steps up as a brother figure, Harlow is Queen of Awesomeness as she mentors Tatum throughout the book with her usual in your face bluntness:

“If only I ruled the world. Things would be much easier and make a helluva lot more sense.” –Harlow Reed’s Personal Mantra

Lastly, the development we see between Tatum and her relationship with her brother Trace will make your heart break then slowly piece together.

The writing is flawless and breathtaking. Ms. Simmons does what the series title infers, this story will mend your heart. Finger ready, set, ONE-CLICK!!!!!
 
I received an ARC copy in exchange of an honest review
 

~ Review by Tori





 


L.B. Simmons is a graduate of Texas A&M University and holds a degree in Biomedical Science. She has been a practicing Chemist for the last 11 years. She lives with her husband and three daughters in Texas and writes every chance she gets.





 
 
 
 



 


#1 Running on Empty

 
#1.5 Recovery
 
 
#2 Running in Place

 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment